Peoria Talk

Home of the River City

News:We've added a Technical Assistance section for all your tech questions.

Cooper Park (North and South)

(Read 1167 times)

RambleOn

Birders will enjoy seeing flying critters that are not usually seen in the city.  The flora in the marsh areas is quite interesting.  You can get to the edge of the river and have a nice view of the Peoria skyline.  The trails are flat, with several boardwalks.  It stretches from behind Jonah's to Spindler Marina.  The floods have caused some damage, but a lot of work has been done to make it a very pleasant walk.  It is flat, so it is not a difficult walk.  In the past, I have wandered through Spindler campground and continued north to McCluggage bridge.  Lot of construction by the bridge now, so I haven't even tried this year.   I have never seen it crowded.

kraziebill

Where does the trail continue on the north side of the campground?  I didn't know that existed.

RambleOn

@kraziebill you sort of blaze your own trail along the river.  Walking in the sand most of the time.  It may still be under water.

DennisinMH

Also a decent trail walk from the EP riverfront behind Walmart up past Bass Pro shops.

UserXYZ123

Also a decent trail walk from the EP riverfront behind Walmart up past Bass Pro shops.
I have seen that trail. Do you know how far it goes past the Granite City building?

kraziebill

@UserXYZ123:  It's stops behind Granite City right at the mouth of the creek where it dumps into the river. 

On the other end, it goes behind Bass Pro and runs along that creek and ends at the hotel.

RambleOn

Cooper is more interesting with the boardwalks, access to the river, marsh flora and lots of trees.  It also doesn't get a lot of use, so nice a quiet other than bird calls.

kraziebill

Cooper is more interesting with the boardwalks, access to the river, marsh flora and lots of trees.  It also doesn't get a lot of use, so nice a quiet other than bird calls.

And lots of shade.

RambleOn

Did Lower Glen Oak Park today.  Shade and a great breeze.  Nice little hike.